To apply for any of the opportunities listed below, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Click on the job title for more information.
Interactive Content Producer/Editor
The Interactive Content Producer will coordinate, develop and upload online content for WYCC PBS Chicago, and will work with marketing department staff and program producers to develop interactive content, features and elements that reflect site and audience development strategies. This position reports to the Creative Services Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop original content to promote the WYCC, including but not limited to program highlights, blog posts, and social media, utilizing a mix of traditional and new media storytelling elements including video, text, still photography, slideshows, web 2.0 functionality, and more.
- Research, report and fact check all content.
- Upload content; make changes and updates to website under direction of Web/Interactive staff.
- Write and edit metadata for video portal, upload and encode video as needed.
- Assist with all elements of page and site launches and quality assurance including production of new features.
- Assist in evaluating effectiveness of current web presence, interpret site-use statistics, research improvements and alternatives, and implement change.
- Identify, recommend and implement current and emerging interactive content elements.
- Utilize new promotional strategies with a focus on social media platforms, content sharing and distribution methods with the goal of growing and targeting audience.
- Assist in reporting to the Corporation of Public Broadcasting on plans and implementation of web strategy.
- Help assign and oversee work of related intern staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate must have proven online writing and communication skills and an understanding of journalistic ethics and procedure.
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication or Journalism
- 2-3 years experience writing content for various platforms
- Sharp research skills with the ability to compile information from various sources
- Familiarity with or interest in television production, narrative and online storytelling and a keen interest in interactive presentation
- Must be able to manage multiple content projects simultaneously while working in a small group under pressure and meet all deadlines.
- Basic knowledge of Photoshop is also desired.
Director of Engineering and Operations
The Director of Broadcast Operations & Engineering is responsible for maintaining broadcast systems for WYCC – Channel 20; operation and maintenance of station television studio equipment; and ensuring compliance with FCC guidelines and regulations
- Ensures television studio meets all the requirements for daily production and broadcasting.
- Repairs and adjusts complex electronic systems for the generation and transmission of television signals.
- Researches and analyzes products, systems and methods currently utilized or being developed to remain current on broadcast trends.
- Designs systems for maximum utilization and efficiency with regard to cost, maintenance, performance and integration.
- Develops and writes equipment specifications and requisitions to replace and upgrade systems; obtains costs and secures vendors.
- Constructs and installs systems, components and interconnects for television facilities.
- Supervises operations staff and students in maintaining proper signal levels for recording and transmitting television programs.
- Provides instruction to staff and students on the proper handling, adjustments, system configuration and required signal levels to properly operate components and systems for best performance.
- Coordinates work schedules and assignments for staff members.
- Interviews, hires and performs written assessments on staff members.
- Performs duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electronics, Computer Science or a related field, supplemented by six (6) years of progressive experience in broadcasting is required.
- Excellent knowledge of television operations, digital editing/recording/camera, master control equipment, broadcast services, digital storage equipment, satellite dish components, LNA equipment and other set-up/maintenance equipment is essential.
- Knowledge of FCC technical regulations, UHF transmitter maintenance expertise, layout interpretation skills and planning experience also required.
- Knowledge of analog and digital electronics, television systems integration and mechanical drawing/architecture experience preferred.
- Must possess familiarity with master control and studio operations.
- Ability to instruct others in the operation, maintenance and proper handling of television transmission equipment.
- FCC licensure and/or SBE certification preferred.
We offer internships with the following departments:
- Television Production (media departments)
- Interactive (writing samples required, social media literate - great for bloggers/graphic artists)
- Membership (administrative support)
For more information, please contact WYCC Production Coordinator Toni Reed at 773-487-3651 or email@example.com.