To apply for any of the opportunities listed below, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Click on the job title for more information.
TV Video Editor
JOB SUMMARY: Performs editing functions, assembling raw video footage to produce finished products (e.g. shows, news programs, instructional videos, promotional and public service announcements, and other productions) for broadcasting; ensures the overall technical quality of edited materials meets the quality standards of WYCC-TV and PBS. Based on operational needs performs videographer duties, operating a camera to shoot video at television studios or other locations.
- Uses non-linear editing computer system to review image sources in videotape and digital formats, and applies creative and technical editing skills to assemble pieces of footage together and create finished products.
- Works closely with Producers and the Director of Creative Services during editing sessions, following directives and specifications for selecting, arranging and combining recorded footage for use in programs and promotions.
- Reviews edited videotapes to determine if corrections are necessary or to insert additional music, dialogue or sound effects.
- Applies editing skills and uses computerized editing equipment, making adjustments and correction to ensure visual quality (e.g. color, hue, video and black levels) and audio quality (e.g. free of over modulation, sibilance, and audio hits; clean sounding and clear).
- Makes dubs (e.g. copies) of programs and footage, copying to memory sticks, hard drives, and tapes.
- Operates ingest equipment, DVD burning and graphics software, and scanner to load, convert formats and transcode, and transfer footage to FTP folders; convert files and uses web streaming components for the transfer and viewing of productions on WYCC’s website.
- Assists in maintaining station music library and video archives.
- May operate video cameras and shoot footage for news videos or studio shows.
- Informs production staff, field crews and engineering staff of any problems with technical quality of production tapes or equipment malfunctions found during editing process.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Television Production, Communications, Journalism, or other appropriate field from an accredited college or university, PLUS three years of work experience in broadcast editing.
- A combination of education and experience may be taken into consideration based on the applicant’s credentials.
- Editing experience using Avid Media Composer and Interplay highly desirable.
- Must be computer proficient with knowledge of a variety of software programs.
Oversees and develops day-to-day on-air and online look of local productions to attract to the largest available audience.
Works with an editorial team to coordinate coverage and presentation of content coverage plans.
Supervises and develops producers, students, associate producers, production assistants and other direct reports.
Coordinates with other WYCC departments to develop effective promotions for public affairs shows, documentaries, and upcoming CCC events for broadcast.
Introduces new and innovative ways to create and distribute content.
Develops and supervises budgets.
Cultivates and nurtures professional and collegial relationships with independent producers, foundations, members, PBS stations, and public radio to shape programming that reflects Chicago communities.
Researches and develops new ideas for local projects both independently and with other members of the local production team.
Assures professional quality production and efficient execution of projects by scheduling resources, instructing crew & talent, and coordinating pre and post-production details with appropriate personnel.
Oversees edit sessions, voiceover sessions, and graphic delivery.
Works within framework of deadlines, budgets and available resources.
Performs the hiring of editorial staff for studio and field productions. Hires and conducts performance evaluations; corrects performance failures when necessary; assists in training personnel in proper use of equipment; ensures compliance to all City College personnel policies and procedures.
Ensures WYCCÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s standard of excellence, integrity, and commitment is maintained as it relates to CCC and PBS in program choices, content, and related obligations.
Adheres to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
Participates in special projects and performs additional duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree in Television Production, Theater, Communication, Journalism, English or other appropriate field. MasterÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s degree preferred. A combination of education and experience may be taken into consideration based on the applicant's credentials.
- Ten years of experience producing programs for a commercial and/or public broadcasting station with a specific focus in television production, script writing and postproduction.
- Ability to present new and innovative ideas to diverse groups. Ability to produce, communicate, and present an array of ideas in the development of programs for new and existing audiences.
- Ability to effectively represent the Station and District at various meetings. Ability to work with individuals in varying capacities in and outside of the District.
- Knowledge of FCC regulations & federal/state laws governing broadcasting. Knowledge of PBS guidelines.
- Excellent editorial judgment.
- Knowledge and experience with various production techniques and with Final Cut Pro non-linear editing equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Successful experience working within budget guidelines and project deadlines.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Must be an organized self-starter who has experience leading a multi project team.
We offer internships with the following departments:
- Television Production (media departments)
- Interactive (writing samples required, social media literate - great for bloggers/graphic artists)
- Membership (administrative support)
For more information, please contact WYCC Production Coordinator Toni Reed at 773-487-3651 or email@example.com.